Ryan Strudwick and his coaching team of Rudi Urbach and Dylan Campbell have selected the following squad to take on former Springbok coach Peter de Villiers' UWC charges Please remember to catch the UKZN Impi live on Monday on SuperSport 1 (4.30pm kick off).
1. Nhabulo Mkize
2. Chris de Beer
3. Sizwe Kubheka
4. David Harel
5. Christie vd Merwe
6. Lwazi Ngcungama or Siyabonga Mhlongo (pending eligibility)
7. Johan du Toit
8. Adam Wessels
9. Graham Koch
10. Inno Radebe
11. Rico Lategan
12. Marra Louw
13. Marcel Coetzee
14. Shayne Makombe
15. Spa Dube
16. Ntando Mpofana
17. Mikyle Webster
18. Matthew Mandioma
19. Sanele Malwane
20. Michael Hutton
21. Langa Shange
22. Gavin Nyawata
23. Yandisa Mdolomba
Herewith a brief introduction to the newcomers:
• Njabulo Mkize, a former SA Schools and Sharks U21 prop, has transferred his BCom studies from UJ. Njabs will start at loose head, but is equally adept at tight head.
• Chris de Beer is a former captain of Hilton College and the Sharks U19s. He transfers his studies from Varsity College and starts at hooker, but is equally proficient in the back row.
• Quite incredibly, David Harel will debut for the Impi at lock. David is a real success story of the UKZN rugby programme: The Maritzburg agriculture student did not play rugby at school in Zululand, and only took up the sport when he began his studies.
• Christiaan van der Merwe will join David in the second row. Christie was recruited to the Sharks from the Boland and has enrolled for a BBA degree.
• Johan du Toit will play on the flank. He is the younger brother of Springbok Pieter-Steph, and by all accounts similarly talented. Johan will be studying agriculture and environmental management this year.
• Wartburg farmer and BScAgric student Graham Koch returns to the base of the Impi scrum after an absence of almost two years, during which time he has cultivated over 60 varieties of tomatoes, as well as a very impressive moustache.
• Innocent Radebe will start at fly half on Monday. Inno was schooled at St Stithian's in Johannesburg and recruited from the Sharks Academy.
• Marius "Marra" Louw hails from Grey College in Bloemfontein and will join Marcel Coetzee (until recently of Maritzburg College) in the Impi midfield, as well as in Business Administration lectures.
• Ntando Mpofana matriculated at Port Shenstone High and played age group rugby for Border before enrolling for Business Administration studies in Maritzburg last year. He will provide front row cover.
•Substitute scrumhalf, Langa Shange is a Masters student in Housing at Howard College and is a local lad from Durban.
Remember to "back your boytjies" on Monday!