Castle Murray Cup

Jonsson College Rovers were crowned 2011 Castle Murray Cup champions at Northwood Crusaders on Saturday afternoon after defeating Acer Durban Collegians 58-18 in a tightly-contested and hugely competitive final.

Collegians put in a brave first half showing but could not match the sheer pace, determination and execution from Rovers who added 38 points in the second half to ensure they collected the silverware for the 16th time.

The first opportunity went the way of Collegians , flyhalf Wllie du Plessis converting well from 40m out. However, within a couple of minutes, Rovers were on the scoreboard, Daniel Adonga scoring in the corner. Guy Cronje's touchline conversion was just wide, but it was an early indication of the run of play.

Du Plessis added a second penalty to take a 6-5 lead but again it was only moments later that Rovers were back in front, Cronje making no mistake with the penalty.

Both kickers had a tough time with the boot and an 8-6 half-time score would have been a fair reflection of the game if not for a charge-down on Chris Micklewood's clearance of his 22 and Steve Crouse's score under the posts which du Plessis converted.

But true to form, Rovers were back on the board shortly afterwards, Mark Richards scoring in the corner. With the conversion going wide, the teams were tied at 13 apiece.

There was still time for more as Dan Adonga followed up well to score his second try for Rovers, Cronje converted and they held a seven point lead and shortly thereafter the half-time whistle sounded, Rovers enjoying a 20-13 lead.

Rovers were on the front-foot as the second half got underway, Cronje converting an easy penalty from in front.

Mark Richards was prominently involved in a move that culminated in another try for Rovers, converted by Cronje as they took control of the game, leading 30-13.

Dan Adonga was over for his hat-trick not long afterwards and Cronje converted as the dominance continued.

The forwards were prominent in the next try which Richards had started on the other side of the field, Nikolai Blignaut scoring and Cronje converting as they approached the half century.

Collegians scored a late consolation try to replacement Doug Warden in the corner, but just like earlier scores, Rovers struck back immediately, Rosco Speckman showing a clean pair of heels to score under the posts, Cronje converted and it was 50 up.

Captain Chris Micklewood got through the tired Collegians defence as he became the top try-scorer in the competition (6) with Cronje converting Rovers' eighth try of the afternoon.

To their credit, Collegians gave everything they had but ultimately, the rampant Rovers team were in simply sublime form, putting in a performance fitting of a final.

Rovers have now won exactly 50 matches on the trot, an outstanding achievement and will head off to the SAA Club Champs full of confidence as they look to defend their crown.

For pix from the match, click here

Harlequins won the Junior Murray cup final, defeating Vryheid 30-27 after Vryheid had led 17-13 at the break. Vryheid were leading going into the final minute before a late try sealed victory.

All the Final Results:

College Rovers 58 Durban Collegians 18

Harlequins 30 Vryheid 27

College Rovers 44 Durban Collegians 22

College Rovers 64 Empangeni 24

Harlequins 39 Amanzimtoti 8

Harlequins 17 Durban Collegians 15