Castle Murray Cup

The two most successful teams in the history of the Castle Murray Cup will go head to head in the 2011 final after Jonsson College Rovers (winners on 15 occasions and reigning champs) and Acer Durban Collegians (34 time champions) both won their semi-final matches at a festive Northwood Crusaders on Saturday afternoon.

It will be a fitting final between the Premier Division's top two sides but Rovers who are approaching a record of 50 consecutive wins, will be installed as favourites for Saturday's final - taking place at 3pm.

In the opening game, Rovers didn't quite carry on from last week's massive 101-0 whitewash of Crusaders in the quarters, but were still in dominant mood in their match against Varsity College Old Boys when they beat them 28-12.

With more than a handful of Sharks players in their squad, it's not hard to see why they are unbeaten this year and they never looked troubled in this match.

Fullback Jors Dannhauser scored the opening try of the game with flyhalf Guy Cronje converting before adding a pair of penalties as Rovers took a 13-0 lead halfway through the first half.

Captain Chris Micklewood got over in the corner and although Cronje missed a tough effort from out wide, he added a further penalty to take his team into the 20s with Old Boys yet to score.

A sustained effort late in the half from Old Boys while they were a man up failed to pay dividends and Rovers led 21-0 at the break.

Old Boys enjoyed a lot more ball possession in the early part of the second half but failed to capitalise and it was Rovers who took the gap, Micklewood scoring his second and the team's third which Cronje converted from in front as they headed into the final quarter of the match.

Replacement hooker Dylon Rutherford finally broke the deadlock, scoring for Old Boys in the corner with the conversion unfortunately just wide as they got on the scoreboard with 15 minutes remaining.

Their good form continued as flyhalf Calvin Masson broke through the defence to score under the posts and he converted his try as the margin was reduced to 16 points.

Just like the closing minutes of the first half, Old Boys pushed for a score late in the second, but again were denied and a highly-competitive game ended in success for Rovers.

Daniel Adonga (pictured) was voted Man of the Match from adjudicator, former Sharks player AJ Venter.

Acer Collegians saw off the challenge of Thanda/ZRA Zululand to defeat them 28-3 in the other semi-final. They were on the board first with a penalty converted by Wllie du Plessis as Zululand were penalised in their 22 at the breakdown.

Moments later, Zululand had an opportunity to equalise with a long range penalty, but the distance was just too much for fullback Corne Els.

The first try went the way of Collegians when wing Kyle Hartley finished off a sweeping move and scored in the corner with the conversion floating just wide.

Els succeeded with a penalty to get his team on the scoreboard (8-3) but that was the last time they would score and they were having real problems on the injury front, having had a couple of players leaving the field early.

He had another opportunity late in the half but he struck it wide. Collegians had the final say of the half with a well-worked try in the corner to Chris Bosch off an attacking scrum and the teams went into the half-time break with Collegians leading 13-3.

The second half was a similar story as Collegians added further scores through fullback Peter Peens and inside centre Steve Crouse with Man of the Match du Plessis adding a penalty and conversion to complete a well-deserved victory.

The reserves will follow their first teams in their final (Peter Taylor Trophy) after College Rovers had a walkover against PMB Collegians and Durban Collegians saw off Old Boys 30-20